The first day at work for a new employee is usually filled with anxiety. They are coming into an unfamiliar environment, meeting colleagues for the first time, and experiencing a new workplace culture. All this can be pretty unnerving.
As a manager, you can alleviate this anxiety by taking a few minutes to welcome a new employee in the right way. A warm welcome makes them feel like a member of the team and sets the tone for the relationship between the new hire and the rest of the organization.
So, what is the best way to welcome a new employee to the team and make them feel that you value and appreciate what they are bringing to your team?
In this guide, we’ll share some ideas on how to welcome a new hire and 30+ examples of good welcome messages.
Welcoming a new employee is a crucial part of employee onboarding since it sets the pace for the rest of the process. And great onboarding makes people more willing to stay with the company.
Here are a couple of reasons you should put in the effort to make your new hire feel welcome to the team:
Taking the time to welcome a new hire gives an impression of professionalism and good organizational skills. It confirms to the new hire that they made a great decision to join the organization because they will be working with competent people.
Welcoming new employees shows them that you value them and care about their well-being. It communicates a warm, friendly culture and contributes to a positive workplace environment. It also builds trust and makes it easier for the new employee to ask for assistance as you entrust them with more responsibilities.
It’s natural for new employees to feel anxious during their first few days at work. Unfortunately, this affects their ability to quickly integrate into the organization and become productive. Giving them a warm welcome can help put them at ease and get them to settle into the organization faster.
On the start date for an employee, follow the below steps to show your welcome.
#1. Send a welcome message
This is the most popular way of welcoming a new employee. The purpose of the welcome message is to let the new hire know that you are excited to have them join the team and let them know that you are there to support them in every way.
You can also use the welcome email to introduce the rest of the team and share important details about the job, such as the company dress code, working hours, company culture, and so on.
#2. Give a tour of the office
If your organization has a co-located office, it’s good to take the new hire on a tour of the office on their first day. This gives them a feel for their new work environment and makes it easier for them to find their way around.
#3. Take them out to lunch
Taking a new employee out for lunch is a very nice gesture. It gives them a chance to connect with team members outside the work environment and shows you care about them personally, which can put them at ease back in the office. It’s also a great way of showing them some nice lunch spots around the office.
#4. Give them a gift
Everyone loves gifts, and giving one to your new employee can help make them feel appreciated and excited to join the team.
The gift doesn’t have to be expensive. Even something as small as a flash drive, a company T-shirt, or a calendar can help brighten their first day at work.
Your caring for new employees can be conveniently conveyed through a carefully crafted welcome message. However, there’s no need to spend hours figuring out how to write the perfect welcome message. We’ve taken the headache out of the equation and provided you with 30 stellar example messages!
1. Hi [name], we are delighted to have you as the newest member of the [xx] team. We have heard how good you are at [skill 1] and [skill 2]. We know the team will benefit greatly from your ideas and experience.
2. Congratulations and welcome aboard. It’s a great pleasure to have you here! We hope that your new journey with us will be exciting and fruitful.
3. Dear [name], welcome to the team! We know your expertise will add great value to the team, and we are excited to have you here.
4. Hi [name], welcome. We are so pleased that you are joining [company name]. We look forward to working together.
5. Hello [name], so happy to have you here. My name is [your name], and I am in the [position]. Very excited to have a new [employee’s position] on the team.
6. Congratulations on making it through training, and welcome to the team. We know that we'll achieve great things with your creative insights on board.
7. It’s a great privilege to have such a talented [position/role] join our team. We can’t wait to learn and grow with you in the coming years. Welcome aboard!
8. Welcome to the [team name] crew. We are happy to have a new member joining our work family, and we look forward to achieving many wins and successes together.
9. Congratulations and welcome, [employee name]. The [company name] team consists of people who are here to make a difference, and we believe you have what it takes to do exactly that. We can’t wait to see your skills and creativity.
10. We are thrilled to have you join our team! The fact that we chose you out of the other applicants is a testament to your skills and experience, and we can’t wait to see the heights we’ll scale together. Welcome, and don’t be afraid to make waves.
11. Hi [name], on behalf of management and the entire team, I want to extend my warmest welcome to you for joining [company name]. Hope you’ll enjoy the journey with us!
12. Hi [employee name], we’re proud to welcome you to the [company name] team. We believe you have the right talents and ideas to take this team and the organization to the next level, and we hope you’ll feel at home here at [company name].
13. Hello [employee name], receive a very warm welcome from the [company] crew. We are committed to building a close-knit team of passionate and highly-skilled professionals, and we believe that you have what it takes to be part of that team. We are proud to have you here.
14. Welcome to the team. My name is [your name], head of the [team name] team. On behalf of all the team members, I would like to say that we are delighted to have you join the team and wish you all the best during your time here.
15. It’s a great honor to have someone with your valuable experience coming on board, and we are all very excited to work with you. We can’t wait to see the amazing things you’ll accomplish here.
16. Receive our heartiest welcome as you join our amazing team. It’s great to have such a talented person as part of the team. With us working together, the sky is the only limit.
17. Your skills are a highly valuable asset for any company, and we’re therefore immensely lucky to have you join our team. Welcome to the company.
18. Congratulations on your new role. You’re joining a fantastic team, and we are excited to have an equally fantastic and talented new member on the team.
19. The entire [company name] team is delighted to have you here. We hope you’ll have an amazing time here working with us. If you ever need anything, do not hesitate to let me know.
20. Great to have you on board! We know you’ll be a valuable addition to the team, and we can’t wait to see what you’ll achieve here. Don’t forget to enjoy your work, have fun, and keep learning.
21. Welcome to the team! We are thrilled that you’re here and wish you all the very best during your time here.
22. Congratulations and welcome to [company name]. We know you bring with you an infusion of fresh ideas and creativity, and we’re already excited about the impact you’ll make on the organization.
23. Happy first day! We are impressed by your capabilities and glad to have you here. Welcome, and congratulations!
24. It’s with great pleasure that I welcome you to the team. I’ve seen your glorious past achievements, and I can already tell you will be a valuable asset to the team.
25. We’re happy to have another gem joining the team! We look forward to building and innovating together. Welcome.
26. Hi [employee name], thank you for choosing to join [company name]. Receive the heartiest welcome. We’re proud to have you join us.
27. Many congratulations as you start your new position at [company]. We’ll be delighted to have you share your unique perspective and expertise with our team.
28. Thank you for joining us. We’re ecstatic to have you here, and we know we’ll go far with you on board.
29. What a great win to have you as the newest member of our team! We couldn’t have wished for a better person for this position. We’re looking forward to working with you.
30. As you join us on your first day here at [company name], I want to extend to you my warmest welcome. We hope you’ll have fun and grow your skills and career during your time here.
Sending a simple welcome message to a new employee can seem like a small thing, but it can go a long way in helping your new hires settle in the organization.
In this guide, we’ve shared 30+ examples of email messages that you can use to welcome new employees. You’ll never again have to stare at an empty screen while wondering how to welcome your new employees.
Alternatively, you can have a 1-on-1 welcoming and onboarding meeting with your new hire to familiarize them with the team and company quickly.
Cole is a freelance writer with over a decade of experience. With an educational background in journalism, public relations, and social media, she has a passion for storytelling and providing useful and engaging content.